Tehri- A rice dish with soy nuggets
इस व्यंजन को हिन्दी में पढ़ें
Tehri is a rice preparation made with seasonal vegetables. It is very popular in north India and mainly in Uttar Pradesh(UP). Tehri is a delicious rice preparation, and is especially enjoyable in winter months when we have fresh carrots, peas etc. There are various ways to make tehri- while some people like to add soy nuggets in the tehri, others like it with mangaudi (moong dal balls)
. Here we are making a delicious tehri with soy nuggets. Soy is a good source of protein and vegetables it makes an healthy one meal dish. Tehri itself is a delicious preparation but to make it royal you can serve it with curds (yogurt), chutney, pickles, papad, salad etc. Ty this recipe and please do share your comments. Happy cooking, Shuchi
Approximately 250 calories each serving
- Basmati rice 1 cups
- Soya nuggets ½ cup
- Onion 1 medium
- Tomato 1 medium
- Green chilies 2-3
- Cashews ¼ cup (optional)
- Potato 1 medium
- Carrot 1 medium
- Green bell pepper/ capscium ¼ cup chopped (optional)
- Green peas ½ cup
- Salt 1½ tsp/ to taste
- Red chili powder ½ tsp
- Turmeric powder ½ tsp
- Coriander powder 1 tsp
- Garam masala ½ tsp
- Chopped coriander leaves 2 tbsp
- Ghee /oil 2-3 tbsp
Method of preparation
- Clean, wash, and soak rice in two cups of water for 20 minutes.
- Soak the soya nuggets with little salt in the warm water for 15 minutes.
Soyabean nuggets soaked in saline water
- Peel, wash and chop the onion. Remove the stem, wash and chop the green chilies.
- Wash and finely chop the tomato.
- Peel , wash and chop the potato and carrots into small pieces. Cut bell pepper (capscium) into small pieces.
- Heat ghee/oil in the pressure cooker, add chopped onions and fry until translucent.
- Add cashews, fry for a minute.
- Add chopped green chilies and chopped tomatoes. Fry for a couple of minutes.
- Add all the spices and fry for a few seconds. Add all the vegetables. Mix well.
- Squeeze off the water of the soaked soya nuggets and add them to the vegetables. Fry for a minute.
- Remove water from the soaked rice and add rice and mix well. Add about 1 cup of water (usually the ratio of basmati rice and water is 1:2). After the first boil close the lid and take a whistle.
- Delicious tehri with soy nuggets is ready. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve with plain yogurt or Raita of your taste. My children love tehri with meethi chutney. Personally, I like tehri with kachumar salad.
Some Suggestions/ Tips:
- You can add some other vegetables like, cauliflower, beans, corn kernels etc in this rice preparation.
- Paneer can also be added in tehri as per taste.
- Increase or decrease the amount of green chilies as per taste.
- You can also make this tehri Vaishnav style without onions.
Suggestions For Kid's Lunch box:
Tehri has carbohydreate, vitamins, proteins, and also some minerals. So it is an ideal Lunch box meal for kids as well as adults...You can add more veggies as per taste in your tahri preparation. Some pieces of paneer can also be added in this dish. With Tahri there is some salad and a piece of chikki (peanut bar)!