Shahi Kaju Curry
इस व्यंजन को हिन्दी में पढ़ें
Shahi kaju curry is a Royal, festive preparation, and like other Royaldishes, this delicious creamy curry is made with onions, tomatoes and a blend of aromatic spices. I have used Cashew nuts, green peas, and Euryale ferox/ Lotus puffs (makhane) to put in the curry. This delicacy is a great hit for parties. Try this delicious preparation and please do share your valuable thoughts....
- Cashew nuts ½ cup
- Green peas ¾ cups
- Eurayle ferox / Lotus puffs (makhane) 1½ cups
- Onion 1 medium/ 125 gms
- Green chilies 1-2
- Ginger 1½ inch piece
- Tomatos 2 medium (about 250 gms)
- Coriander powder 2 tsp
- Red chili powder ½ tsp
- Turmeric powder ¼ tsp
- Kasoori methi (dried methi) ½ tsp
- Garam masala ½ tsp
- Sugar 1 tsp
- Salt 1 tsp
- Oil / ghee 3 tbsp
- Fresh cream ½ cup
- Water 1 cups
- Chopped coriander leaves 1 tbsp
- Bay leaves 2
- Cloves 4-6
- Green cardamoms 4
- Cinnamon 2 pieces
(½ inch wide, one inch long)
Method of preparation :
- Peel off onion, remove the skin of ginger, remove the stem of the green chilies and wash them. Roughly chop the green chilies, onion and ginger. In the blender make a fine paste of green chilies, ginger, and onion.
- Wash tomates and grind them into puree.
The ingredients of shahi kaju curry
- In a non stick wok heat 2 tsp oil /ghee. Now add cashew nuts and fry them on medium heat until pink. Keep the fried cashews aside.
- In the non stick wok heat 1 tsp oil and roast the makhane till they are crisp. Keep aside.
- In the same non stick wok heat remaining 2 tbsp oil/ghee . Add all the wholesome garam masala ingredients (bay leaves, cloves, green cardamoms, and cinnamon) in the ghee/ butter and fry on low heat for a minute.
- Now add onion paste and fry on medium heat till golden or until it leaves the sides of the pan. (takes about 8 minutes)
whole masala and onion frying
- Now add coriander powder, red chili powder, turmeric , kasoori methi, and garam masala powder. Mix well and fry for couple of minutes.
- Now add tomato puree and fry again until masala leaves the sides of the pan. (takes 3-5 minutes)
after adding tomato puree
- Add fresh cream, mix well. Now add 1 cup of water and salt. Boil the curry for couple of minutes.
- Now add green peas and let it cook for couple of minutes.
- Finally add fried sugar, cashew nuts and makhane. Mix well and cook for a minute.
after adding all the ingredients
- Delicious shahi kaju curry is now ready to serve. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves. An optional garnishing is with raisins - for a different Royal look!
shahi kaju curry is ready
Serve with Rotis/poori/ butter naan or with other Indian breads.
Some Tips and Suggestions:
- I do not use garlic in my cooking but if you wish to add garlic add it first before frying the onion paste.
- Fresh Malai can also be used if you do not have fresh cream.
- Mushrooms, corn, paneer etc can also be used in this royal curry preparation.
Some other Curry preparation