हिन्दी में पढ़ें
Sarson Ka Saag
Sarson saag (mustard leaves preparation) is a very famous delicacy from Punjab. This delicious saag is served with makke ki roti (bread made with cornmeal). Mustard leaves can be easily found in the Indian stores and also in supermarkets. This delicious and famous combo is usually made in cold weather. There are so many different ways to make sarson ka sagg here I am sharing the one which is easy to follow and is our family’s favorite …. Enjoy this Punjabi delicacy and do not forget to share your comments...
- Mustard Leaves 400 gms/1 bunch
- Spinach 350 gms/ 1 bunch
- Green chilies 4-5
- Fenugreek powder ¼ tsp
- Onion 1 medium
- Ginger 1 inch piece
- Cornmeal (makke ka aata) 1 tbsp
- Salt 1 tsp
- Garam masala ½ tsp
- Lemon juice 1 tsp
- Ghee 2 tbsp
- Ghee/ Butter for serving 2-3 tbsp
- Water 2 cup
- Salt ½ tsp
- Sugar ¼ tsp
Method of preparation:
- Remove the thick stems of mustard and spinach leaves and wash them thoroughly. Do not need to discard the young and tender stems.
- Boil 2 cups water in a big sauce pan. Add ½ tea spoon salt and ¼ tea spoon sugar (to maintain the green color), boil the mustard leaves in the hot water till tender. It takes about 5 minutes to boil the mustard leaves. Take the mustard leaves out and leave them on the colande.
- Now in the same water boil spinach leaves till they get tender. Take the spinach leaves out and leave them on the colander. Let the greens cool down for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove the stem and wash the green chilies.
- Make a coarse paste of boiled mustad leaves, spinach leaves and green chilies. Make sure the paste is coarse (do not overgrind).
- Peel wash, and finely chop the onion. Peel , wash and finely chop the ginger.
- In a wok, heat the 2-3 table spoon ghee. Add chopped onions. Fry the onions until it gets transluscent (takes about 2-3 minutes) . Add chopped ginger and fry for a minute.
- Add coarse paste of greens in it and cook for 5 minutes.
- Mix 1 table spoon makke ka aata (cornmeal) with 2 tbsp water. Make a thick paste. Add this paste in greens. Mix well and add salt, garam masala, and fenugreek powder. Mix well and cook for 7-8 minutes.
- Turn off the heat. Add lemon juice. Taste and adjust the spices as per taste. Delicious saag is ready.
- Pour hot ghee onto the saag at the time of serving. Serve hot saag with makke ki roti and jaggery (गुड़).
Some Tips/ Suggestions:
- We need makke ka aata (cornmeal) for this recipe, but not corn starch.
- If you do not eat onions make this saag without using onion, the saag tastes good even without onions.
- Do not overcook the mustard and spinach, as overcooking will not only fade the color of the greens but also affect the taste.
Some Other Green curries: