इस व्यंजन को हिन्दी में पढ़ें
This is a very popular dish from West India - from Mumbai. Ragda is made with yellow peas ( matar) and seasoned with mustard seeds while the same white matar seasoned with cumin seeds called as matara in North. This is a yummy chaat , served with Potato patties and chutneys….
Ingredients for Ragda
- White peas (saphed matar )1 cup
- Salt ¾ tsp
- Oil 1 ½ tsp
- Mustard seeds 1 tsp
- Asafoetida a pinch
- Curry leaves a couple
- A hint of turmeric
- A hint of jaggery
- Red chili powder ¼ tsp
- Tamarind paste 1 tsp
- Water about 2 ½ cups
Ingredients for Patties
- Boiled potatoes 5 medium
- Salt ¾ tsp
- Green chili 1
- Chopped coriander leaves ½ tbsp
- Ghee/ oil 2 tbsp
- Bread 1
Ingredients to serve
ingredients to serve ragda patties
Method of preparation for Ragda
- Clean, wash and soak the white peas overnight in 2½ cups of water.
- Boil the white peas with salt until they are tender. The best way is to take a couple of whistles in medium-low heat in the pressure cooker. Takes 15-20 minutes to boil the peas.
soaked white peas boiled white peas
Now heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds. When seeds stop crackling add a pinch of asafoetida, curry leaves and a pinch of turmeric. Now add boiled white peas, mix well and add red chili powder, jaggery and tamarind paste. if the ragda is too thick add little more water. And cook for 4-5 minutes.
Ragda is ready
Method of preparation for Patties
- Peel off and mash the boiled potatoes thoroughly.
- Remove the stem, wash and finely chop the green chilies.
- Add salt, chopped green chilies, chopped coriander leaves, and bread in the boiled potatoes and mix well .
mashed potatoes with other ingredients thoroughly mixed mashed potatoes
- Now divide the potato mixture in 8 portions and make round flat patties.
- Heat flat griddle on medium heat . Pour some oil/ ghee and fry the patties from both the sides till they are reddish brown.
Potato patties fried patties
Method of serving
- In a plate, take abour half cup ragda. On ragda place two patties side by side.
- On top of the patties pour 1 table spoon Tamarind chutney (meethi chutney) and about 2 tea spoon green chutney.
- Sprinkle a pinch of red chili powder and and a little bit of chopped coriander leaves. Garnish with some crispies (sev, papri, or aloo lachcha)
ragda set on the plate patties on top of the ragda
- Serve immediately -delicious, mouthwatering ragda patties.
Some other Chaat items
Some other combo meals
Some other snacks