Noorani Seekh Kebab
इस व्यंजन को हिन्दी में पढ़ें
Noorani Seekh Kebab is a low-fat, easy to make appetizer. Traditionally Kebabs are associated with meat, but this is a vegetarian delicacy from Lucknow. Noorani lentil and paneer kebabs are rich in protein, fibers and vitamin B1. I have made Noorani Kebabs many times for parties and have always had rave reviews. Try this recipe and please do share your comments.
- Bengal gram lentils (chana dal) ½ cup
- Mashed paneer 2 cups
- Onion 1 medium, finely chopped
- Grated ginger 2 tsp
- Green chiles 2, finely chopped
- Cabbage ¼ cup, finely chopped (optional)
- Carrots 2-3 tbsp, finely chopped
- Bell pepper(capscium) 2 tbsp, finely chopped
- Salt 1 ½ tsp or to taste
- Red chili powder ¼ tsp
- Garam masala ½ tsp
- Chaat masala ½ tsp
- Tandoor masala 1 tsp
- Ghee for brushing
Method of preparation
- Clean, wash, and soak bengal gram lentils (chana dal) for ½ hour. Boil chana dal with ½ tea spoon salt in a little water. (we do not want soggy dal so make sure that amount of water is perfect)
- Let it cool, then mash the lentils (can be done in a mixer/blender). In case if the mixture is wet, fry it until the water has been evaporated.
- In a mixing bowl, take mashed lentils, crumbled/ mashed paneer, chopped bell pepper (capscium/ shimla mirch), cabbage, carrot, onion, green chilis, and ginger.
- Now add all the spices in the mixture and mix them very well.
- Make about 16 oval shape kebabs. Now hold an oval kebab in your hand and gently slip a skewer in the center. Press and give the required shape .
- Brush a little ghee from every side of the kebab.
I prefer to cook the kebab in the barbeque as this is the most traditional way. For a change, I tried baking the kebabs in the oven. Here are the options.....
- Oven- If you do not have barbeque do not worry we can make kebabs in the oven. First preheat the oven till 350 F . Now set a butter paper/ foil on the cookie tray and arrange all the skewers in the grill/pizza tray/ cookie tray. Cook till kebabs are golden brown . It takes about 20-25 minutes to cook the kebab in the oven.
- Barbeque- Usually I like to barbeque the kebabs over charcoal.
- Gas Stove-If you do not have either barbeque or oven, you can still make seekh kebab at home on gas stove. Put a metal net on the flame, hold the skewers and cook over the medium flame.
- Deep frying- These kebab can also be deep fried.
I like to serve these Noorani Kebabs with Lakhnawi Green chutney but kebab can also be served with other chutney of your taste.
Some other snacks and starters recipe