हिन्दी में पढ़ें
Nimona is a very popular green pea’s curry preparation. This dish is specially made in winters, when Bazaars are flooded with fresh green peas. I would like to say thank to our very dear friends Mr and Mrs C.V. Singh for sharing this recipe with me. Last summer when we were in India, Mr Singh advised me that I should write about this traditional winter specialty Nimona on my site. So here we are with a very simple, easy to make, and very delicious dish Nimona. I have made this dish Vaishnav style (without onions and garlic) …..As always your comments will be highly appreciated…..
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 2 cups green peas (I have used frozen)
- 2 green chilies, finely chopped
- 2 tsp ginger, finely chopped
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2-3 pinces asafoetida
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp ghee/ vegetable oil
- 2 tsp/ to taste lemon juice
- about 1 cup water
Method of preparation:
- Wash green peas. I have used frozen peas as that is what we get in our city. But I suggest you use fresh peas if you get them in your part of the world.
- In the blender coarsely grind washed green peas. Do not over grind.
- In a wok heat ghee/oil on medium heat. Add cumin seeds; when seeds crackle, add asafoetida. Now add bay leaves. Fry for a few seconds.
- Add chopped green chilies, and ginger. Fry for a few seconds.
- Add coarsely ground green peas. Fry for a couple of minutes.
- Add salt in the pea mixture. Mix well. Add about 1 cup of water. Now cover the lid and cook for about 5 minutes .
- Add lemon juice. Mix well and fry for a minute. Turn off the heat. Delicious Nimona is ready.
- Nimona tastes very good by itself. But you can serve it with with plain paratha, or plain rice or any roti of your choice.
Some Tips/ Suggestions:
- Nimona tastes good and it is very aromatic when it is cooked in pure ghee.
- It will take a little longer to cook fresh green peas Nimona.
- Use fresh peas if you get them in your part of the world.
- Coarsely grind peas for Nimona. Do not over grind...
- Do not overcook peas as they leave their natural green color.
- You can also add onion and garlic in this preparation.
Some Other green peas preparations-