हिन्दी में पढ़ें
Methi Malai Paneer
Methi is the Hindi word for fenugreek leaves and Malai is the Hindi word for Cream. This paneer (Indian cottage cheese) preparation is a delicious creamy curry; made with onions, tomatoes and a blend of spices, especially fenugreek leaves (Methi). Methi Malai Paneer is loved by everyone and it goes well with all sorts of Indian breads. so try out this exotic delicacy and do not forget to share your thoughts.Happy cooking, Shuchi
- Bay leaves 2
- Cloves 4-6
- Green cardamoms 4
- Cinnamon 2 pieces (½ inch wide and one inch long)
Ingredients for Methi Malai Paneer
- paneer 250 gms
- Onion 1 big/200gms
- Green chilies 2
- Ginger 1½ inch piece
- Tomatos 2 small (about 125 gms)
- Fresh fenugreek leaves, finely chopped 3/4 cups
- Cashew nuts ¼ cup
- Coriander powder 2tsp
- Red chili powder ½ tsp
- Garam masala 1 tsp
- Salt 1½ tsp
- Sugar 1 tsp
- Butter/ ghee/ oil 2-3 tbsp
- Water 1 cup
- Fresh cream ½ cup
Method of preparation:
- Peel onion, wash it thoroughly with warm water. Remove the skin of ginger and remove the stem of the green chilies and wash them. Chop the green chilies, onion and ginger. In the blender make a fine paste of green chilies, ginger, and onion. Keep aside the paste.
- Wash tomates and grind them into a fine paste.
- Soak cashew nuts in a quater cup of warm water for 10 minutes. Make a fine paste of cashew nuts in the blender. (you can also grind dry cashew nuts)
- Cut paneer into 1 inch squares. If paneer is hard, soak it in warm saline water for 10 minutes.
- In a wok heat butter/ghee/oil . Add all the whole spices (bay leaves, cloves, green cardamoms, and cinnamon) in the ghee/ butter and fry on low heat for a minute.
- Add onion paste and fry on medium heat till it turns golden brown or until it leaves the sides of the pan. (takes about 7-8 minutes)
- Add chopped methi leaves, coriander powder, red chili powder, and garam masala powder. Mix well and fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Add cashew nut paste and fry for another 2 minutes on medium heat.
- Now add tomato puree and fry again until masala leaves the sides of the pan. (takes about 3 minutes)
- Add fresh cream, mix well. Now add 1 cup of water and salt. Boil the curry for 5 minutes.
- Add sugar. Mix well in curry.
- Add paneer and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Delicious Methi Malai Paneer is now ready to serve.
- Serve with Rotis/butter naan or with lachcha Paratha. You can also serve plain basmati rice with this rich curry.
Some Tips/ Suggestions:
- I do not use garlic in my cooking, but if you eat garlic add it with onions to grind it.
- You can also use kasoori methi (dried Methi leaves) in case if you do not find fresh methi leaves.Kasoori methi is dried methi (fenugreek) leaves. It can easily be found in Indian/ Asian grocery stores. Rub Kasoori methi in between your fingers to crush them. Add in during masala frying.
- Fresh Malai can also be used in place of fresh cream.
- The color of the curry may vary depending on the color of tomatoes and onions you use.