This is a green peas (matar) and cottage cheese (paneer) delicacy from North India. Matar paneer is one of the most popular paneer preparations. Traditionally paneer used to be fried for this dish but I prefer sauté paneer over fried. This is a very delicious paneer dish.
Method of preparation
- Peel off onion, remove the skin of ginger and wash them. Roughly chop the onion and ginger and make a fine paste in the blender.
- Cut paneer into 1 ½ inch squares. Sauté Paneer in a non stick pan with little butter for a minute.
- Soak red chilly powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, garam masala, and kasoori methi in the lukewarm milk. Keep aside.
- Boil green peas for couple of minutes, remove the water and keep aside.
- Heat butter in a pan, fry onion paste on medium heat until it leaves the sides of the pan.(takes 12-14 minutes)
- Add soaked masala and fry again until it leaves the sides of the pan(takes 2 minutes)
- Now add tomato puree and fry again until it leaves the sides of the pan.(takes 3-5 minutes)
- Now add 1 ½ cup of water and boil the curry for 5 minutes add salt and boiled peas.Cook for 2 minutes.
- Finally add sauté paneer and cook for couple of minutes.
- Matar paneer is ready. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
Serve with Rotis/poori/ butter naan or with any Indian bread
Tips : Add a pinch of salt and little bit of sugar when you boil the peas, it helps to maintain the green color of peas.