Lauki Ki Lauj/Burfi
इस व्यंजन को हिन्दी में पढ़ें
Lauki or bottle gourd is a vegetable which is eaten in many of the families in the days of fasting. Lauki ki lauj is a dessert made with lauki and milk. This is a traditional dessert made all over India. Here I am writing my version of recipe of Lauki ki Lauj which is very yummy in taste and perfect offering to God.
Method of preparation
- Remove the outer green cover of the cardamoms and grind them in the mortar.
- Grease a small tray or back of the plate or thali.
- In a heavy bottom pan boil milk . After the first boil reduce the heat let the milk boil for minutes.
- In the other wok heat about 1 tsp ghee. Add grated lauki and fry on medium heat for 2-4 minutes.
- Add fried lauki in the boiling milk and cook until lauki absorbs the entire milk. Stir in every 2-3 minutes.The total process takes about 25 minutes.
- Add sugar and mix well. At this point stir continuously to avoid the burning of the mixture. Cook for another 4-5 minutes. Now turn off the heat.
- Now add cardamom powder. Spread out the mixture on the greased tray. Let it set for 20 minutes.
- Cut square shape pieces. There isn't any hard and fast rule for the shape and size of the lauj/burfi. Garnish with slivered pistachio.
Delicious lauki ki lauj is ready to offer to god, then to serve.
Tips/ Some Suggestions
Do not use very fine grater to avoid the complete blending of bottle gourd in the milk. I have shown the grater in the side picture for your convenience .
You can also use fresh half and half cream ( it has half cream) instead of milk to save cooking time. For 2 cups of grated lauki you will be needin about 1 cup of half and half .