Khatta Meetha Kaddu
इस व्यंजन को हिन्दी में पढ़ें
Sweet and Sour Pumpkin is a yummy preparation from North India. Since Indian pumpkin (kaddu) is hard to find in western market, the other options to make this preparations are acorn squash, or Zucchini/Courgette which are easily available all over the world. I have used a variety of squash in the following pictures. But the recipe is exactly the same as I used to use with Indian green Pumpkin (kaddu/ Sitaphal) when we were living in India .
- Green pumpkin (Kaddu) 500 gms
- Green chilies 2 big
- Ginger 2 inch piece
- Fenugreek seeds 1 tsp
- Salt to taste/ 1 tsp
- Red chili powder ½ tsp
- Coriander powder 1½ tsp
- Turmeric powder ½ tsp
- Garam masala ½ tsp
- Dry mango powder (Amchur powder) 1 tsp
- Sugar 1½ tbsp
- Oil 1 ½ tbsp
- Chopped coriander leaves 1 tbsp (optional)
Method of preparation
- Wash and cut the Pumpkin (kaddu) into an inch pieces (remove the thick seeds if there is any).
- Wash, remove the stem and chop the green chilies. Peel off, wash, and finely grate the ginger.
- In a wok heat the oil. Add fenugreek seeds. When seeds change the color, add ginger and green chilies. Fry for a few seconds and add turmeric powder. Now add pumpkin pieces (kaddu) and mix well.
- Now add salt and mix well again. Cover the lid and cook until the pumpkin (kaddu) is tender. Do not forget to stir after every 3-4 minutes.(takes 10-15 minutes to cook kaddu)
- Mix all the other spices and sugar. Fry the pumpkin (kaddu) till it absorbs the water left by sugar. (Takes about 4-5 minutes)
Garnish with coriander leaves.
Serve delicious sweet and sour kaddu with dal ki poori or dal ki kachauri or with your choice of Indian bread.
click here for more dry vegetables recipes