इस व्यंजन को हिन्दी में पढ़ें
Gulab Jamun is a traditional Indian dessert. This rich dessert delicacy is tradionally made with deep fried balls of milk solids, soaked in sugar syrup.... Try this sweet dish and please do let me have your feedback.........
(makes 14 pieces)
Preparation time - 10 mins
Cooking time - 30-40 mins
- Khoya 200 gms
- All purpose flour 2½ tbsp
- Milk 2 tbsp
- Green cardamom powder ¼ tsp
- Baking Soda ¼ tsp
- Ghee to deep fry
- Saffron threads 15-16
- chiraunji/ broken cashew nuts
- Mishri/ ilayachidana ( sugar solids)
For sugar syrup:
- Sugar 1½ cup/ 300 gms
- Water 1½ cup
- Rose water 1 tsp
- Groung green cardamom ¼ tsp
- Saffron threads 5-6
* I Like to use pure ghee for dessert preparations but if you have any dietary restrictions you can also use vegetable oil for the deep frying of Gulab Jamun.
Method of preparation
- Following picture shows the ingredients for dough of gulab jamun.
Grated khoya, milk, all purpose flour, baking soda, and cardamom powder
- Grate the khoya. In a bowl take grated khoya, all purpose flour, cardamom powder, and baking soda. Mix all the ingredients well. Now add lukewarm milk little by little and make a soft dough.
Dough for gulab jamun
- Knead the dough back and forth to make it smooth.
- Now divide the dough into 14 portions. Make a round ball of each portion. Cover them with a damp cloth.
- Now take one round ball, flatten it and put a saffron thread, a small piece of cashew/ chiraunji and also an ilayachidana/ mishri ( sugar solid) in the center as shown below.
- Now bring the sides in the middle and make a perfect round. Roll the round in your hand to remove any cracks in the ball.
- Make all the gulab jamun balls in the same way.
- Heat ghee in a pan on low heat ( 160°F/ 70°C ). Now put some balls in the ghee. With the help of ladle, keep putting some hot ghee on the balls and keep moving them. The reason we are doing this is to give the jamuns nice uniform golden brown color from all the sides. Deep fry them on low heat from all the sides until the get nice golden brown color. It takes about 10-12 minutes to deep fry the gulab jamun.
- Drain out the gulab jamuns on the kitchen paper. Keep aside.
Fried Gulab jamuns
- In another pan boil sugar and water to make sugar syrup. After the first boil, reduce the heat and let the syrup boil for 5-6 minutes. Add ground cardamoms , rose water, and saffron threads in the sugar syrup. Keep aside.
- When Gulab jamuns are lukewarm pour them in sugar syrup. Cover them with sugar syrup thoroughly. Leave them in sugar syrup for at least 20 minutes before serving. Warm up the sugar syrup if required.
Fulab jamun soaked in sugar syrup
All time favorite Gulab Jamuns are ready to serve. In summers, You can also serve hot gulab jamuns with cold vanilla icecream.
My sugar syrup is very dark brown in color as I have used brown sugar.
Gulab Jamun should be deep fried in low heat to cook them well from inside. To check the right temperature of ghee, deep fry one Gulab Jamun first .
Some other dessert recipes