हिन्दी में पढ़ें
Fried Rice Thai Style
This recipe simply came by chance! One beautiful evening I was all set to make Pad Thai on my daughter’s request. I started gathering the ingredients, only to realize that I did not have any rice noodles. Since Pad Thai sauce was already made so I looked around for other options and noticed that I had some plain cooked rice in the fridge. I decided to give it a try with rice. The result was fantastic and well appreciated! Here is the recipe for my readers- I have used homemade tamarind sauce (pad Thai sauce) and lots of vegetables to make this dish healthier. I have also used fresh basil leaves to enhance the aroma of this rice dish. Basil is growing in abundance in our kitchen garden. The level of spices can be increased as per taste. I like to serve this rice preparation with roasted peanuts. So try out this delicious Thai delicacy and as always please do share your comments....
Ingredients (serves 4)
- Rice ¾ cup
- Shallots 1 / regular onion 1
- Spring (green) onions 1-2
- Carrot 1 medium
- Broccoli florets 1 cup
- Green/ Red bell pepper 1 small
- Basil leaves 7-8
- Salt 1½ tsp or to taste
- Oil 2-3 tbsp
- Tamarind paste 1½ tbsp
- Red chili crushed ½-1 tsp
- Red chili powder to taste
- Brown Sugar 1½ tbsp
- Soya sauce 1 tbsp
- Water 1½ tbsp
- Roasted and crushed peanuts 2-3 tbsp
- Lemon wedges
- Basil leaves
Method of preparation:
- Clean, wash, and soak rice in 1½ cups of water for 30 minutes.
- Cook the rice in microwave or in the pan until they are almost done but not overcooked. Keep the cooked rice aside to cool down.
- Separate the rice lightly with a fork. Note- It is better to cook rice in advance for this recipe as freshly cooked rice may become mushy while cooking with veggies.
- Peel, wash, and cut the shallot/onion in juliennes.
- Scrap the outer skin, wash, and cut the carrots into thin slices.
- Wash, cut the bell pepper into halves, remove the stem and seeds, and cut bell pepper into small pieces.
- Wash, remove the roots, and cut the spring onions in one and half inch long pieces diagonaly.
Method of preparation for the Sauce:
- In a bowl take about brown sugar and 1½ tbsp water. Mix well until sugar is dissolved.
- Add tamarind paste, soya sauce, red chili powder, and red chili flakes in the sugar mixture. Mix well. Keep aside.
To Make Thai Style Rice:
- Heat oil in a wok on high heat. Add basil Leaves. Saute for few seconds.
- Add onions and stir fry for 30 seconds. Add broccoli florets, stir fry for a minute. Add carrots and stir for another minute. Now add rest of the vegetables, and fry for another minute.
- Add cooked rice to the stir fried vegetables. Mix well. Add tamarind thai sauce and salt and stir well the sauce with the rice and veggies. Stir fry for a couple of minutes on high heat. Turn off the heat.
- Yummy Fried Rice Thai style is ready to serve. Garnish with crushed peanuts and basil leaves and serve hot.
- This rice preparation is very delicious itself but you can also serve it with Thai red curry to enhance the flavor.
Some Tips/ Suggestions:
- You can use some other vegetables like cabbage, bok choy, bamboo shoots, water chest nuts, baby corns, mushrooms, tofu etc as per taste.
- The amout of sauce and spice can be increased or reduced as per taste.