इस व्यंजन को हिन्दी में पढ़ें
Coconut Barfi is a very traditional dessert , made for auspicious occasions like Navratri, Maha Shivratri, and Janmashtami, etc. The specialty of this dessert is that it has been made in sugar syrup.
(makes about 15 pieces)
- Grated coconut 2 cups
- Sugar 1 cup
- Water 1 cup
- Ghee 1 tsp + few drops to grease the tray
- Green cardamoms 2
Method of preparation
- Remove the outer skin of cardamoms and grind them in the mortar.
- Grease a tray, plate, or a small thali with ghee. Keep aside.
- Heat a wok, dry roast the grated coconut for about 2-3 minutes on medium heat.
- Boil sugar and water in a wok/pan. After the first boil reduce the heat and boil the sugar syrup till it gets thickened and makes a two string syrup. Two string syrup means that you take a drop of syrup between your two fingers and then stretch the fingers - if the syrup that sticks between the two fingers is making two threads (or strings) then the thickness of syrup is appropriate. Takes about 7-8 mins.
Boiling sugar syrup
- Now add dry roasted grated coconut, 1 tsp ghee, and cardamom. Mix well and cook till the mixture absorbs the sugar syrup. Takes about 2 minutes on medium-low heat.
coconut in the sugar syrup
- Now turn off the heat and set the mixture on the greased tray. Let the mixture cool down, takes about 8-10 minutes.
coconut burfi set in the greased tray
- Now cut the burfi in required shape.
Coconut (nariyal) burfi
Delicious coconut burfi is ready for bhog/serving .
I have used organic (raw) sugar for this preparation. That is why sugar syrup is brown in the picture.
I have used dry coconut (sookha gola).
The burfi can be stored in an airtight container for a couple of weeks.
Use oil instead of ghee if you want to make vegan pag.
Fast( vrat/ upwas) recipes