(Eggplant with Potatoes)
इस व्यंजन को हिन्दी में पढ़ें
Baigan is also known as Aubergine, Egg plant, or Brinjal. This is a very simple yet delicious preparation of eggplant with tomatoes and potatoes. Baingan aloo taste so good with plain paratha. This is my mother's recipe and we all just love it..... Try it out.....
- Egg plant (baigan) 250 gms
- Potato 1big
- Tomatoes 2 medium
- Ginger 1½ inch
- Green chilies 2-4
- Cumin seeds ½ tsp
- Fenugreek seeds ½ tsp
- Asafoetida a pinch
- Turmeric powder ½ tsp
- Red chili powder ¼ tsp
- Coriander powder 1 ½ tsp
- Garam masala ¼ tsp
- Salt 1¼ tsp
- Oil 2 tbsp
- Chopped coriander leaves 2-4 tbsp
*Use long eggplants for this recipe
Method of preparation
- Remove the stem and cut the eggplants in thin one inch long pieces. Put these cut pieces in a bowl filled with water (if we do not dip the cut pieces in water, they will turn black)
- Peel off, wash and cut the potatoes into 2 inch big pieces. Wash them again.
- Peel off, wash, and finely chop the ginger. Remove the stem, wash and finely chop the green chilies.
- Wash and finely chop the tomatoes.
- In pressure cooker heat oil on medium heat. Add cumin seeds, fenugreek seeds, and asafoetida, and fry for 10-15 seconds. Now add chopped ginger and green chilies, and fry for about 30 seconds. Add chopped tomatoes, red chili powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, and salt, fry until spices leave the oil. (takes about 7-8 minutes)
- Transfer the eggplant pieces to the sieve to remove the water.
- Add eggplant pieces to the cooker. Fry them for a minute. Now add potato pieces and mix well. Fry for another minute.
- Now cover the lid and take a whistle on medium heat .
- Open the lid and mash the eggplant pieces. Leave the big potato chunks. Add garam masala . Fry for a couple of minutes and turn off the heat.
Garnish it with chopped coriander leaves.
Serve Baigan Aloo with plain paratha or your choice of Indian bread.
click here for more dry vegetables recipes